Monday, May 17, 2010

What More Does The Chinese Want?

Recently there has been a lot of pooh pooh on What more does the Chinese want from fundamental Malay Ultras within Malaysia. For those not familiar with Malaysia's demographic, I'll try to explain it as simple as possible; there are 3 main race in Malaysia, the Malays, the Chinese and the Indians. Then there is the Eurasians, Orang Asli and many other sub-races of indigenous people. The Malays forms more than 60% of the Malaysia's population thus alleviating it as the majority race here.

As to the questions of what more does the Chinese want? I could not help but ponder long and hard on the answer. Is it a rhetoric question or is it a demeaning question? The question arises of What More Does The Chinese Want(will be referred to as WMDTCW) when the Ruling Government loses the support of the Chinese Electorate during the Hulu Selangor by-election. Though the Barisan Nasional re-capture the seat from the Pakatan Rakyat, it suffers heavy defeats at Chinese majority area. The aftermath of this defeats require a sincere and brave soul searching, instead some quarters started the ball rolling by saying Chinese is not loyal, Chinese does not deserve any help from the Government, Chinese is not patriotic, Chinese is eroding Malay Rights, Chinese is demanding more and more and a lot more that I care to hear.

Problem is, myself as a Malaysian Chinese never requested anything from my Government of the day. I never asked for favors or contracts from the Government. The only thing that the Governement gave me was free vaccination during my schooling days, my education from Standard1 to Form 5, my free text book scheme and free dental care during primary school. All these are basic amenities a good Government should provide to its citizen. For that, I thank you Barisan Nasional Government, I really appreciate it!
Did I ever asked for more from the Barisan Nasional Government? Nope....I'm alright by myself, thank you!

The notion of Chinese is not loyal also does not hold water. In what sense do we gauge loyalty? I'm a firm believer that loyalty is practise in our heart and head not brandishing it loudly and proclaiming it to the whole world. To me loyalty is much more than hoisting our Jalur Gemilang(Malaysian flag) and shouting slogans during our National Day celebration. Loyalty to me is to remain in Malaysia, to contribute to its economy, to pay all the taxes truthfully and when needed defend the country from invaders. That is loyalty to the country and it should not be mistaken to loyalty to any political party who happens to be the Government. A Government is not A Country, Barisan Nasional is not Malaysia; we should not be confuse about it.

Then there is the notion of Chinese are not patriotic. Again, how do we judge someone patriotism? Do we shout it out loud? Do we again hoist our Jalur Gemilang and ride on our motorcyle around town shouting patriotic verse? Or in the sense of the WMDTCW camp of people; because Chinese do not vote Barisan Nasional then we are not patriotic? I do not want to question the WMDTCW camp of people's loyalty but surely you cannot doubt the Chinese loyalty just by the pattern they cast their vote!

Of the Chinese eroding Malay rights, this is a bit confusing to me. The Constitution garauntee the rights of the Malays. The Chinese with its paltry 25% of the population CAN NEVER EVER erode the rights of the Malays. Ironically, only the Malay can decide if they want a fair game, not the Chinese nor the Indians. So again the arguement that Chuvanist Chinese trying to erode Malay rights is not going to happen, not in my life time anyway.

For ordinary Chinese like me, a 3rd generation Malaysian, it is tough slugging it out here, making a living. We never hope for the Government help, we pay our taxes, we respected the Constitution and we strive for our children's future. We never wanted anything more than we have now, so do not ask us What More Does The Chinese Want, instead ask What Else Can The Chinese Do to be accepted as equal brothers without the tinted eyes of race, religion and status? When this happens, then our Prime Minister's 1 Malaysia will be truly a project that will make the world envious!


I must also add that some Chinese deserved their fates, living here all their life and couldn't even speak proper Malay. However I may add, if the Chinese want to be taken seriously and equally in Malaysia, Stand Up and becounted and speak proper Malay and mix with them, take the initiative and your life will be happier knowing our Malay brothers and sisters love us as a Malaysian and not as Cina or India!
Guess I'm blessed that I grow up in Kampungs where the Malays, the Indians and the Chinese co-exist happily and know each other well. That is Kampung Shaik Madar, 11400 Pulau Pinang if you need to know.

May Peace Be Upon You....

A Malaysian First Chinese Second Man.........

No comments:

Post a Comment