Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Passing of a Titan...

Yesterday(10th of May 2010) was a sad day for me. It was 1.30pm and there was a huge cloud hanging in the bright blue sky above us. It was suppose to be a very hot and humid day, but somehow this fluffy clouds is sheltering us from the simmering sun. It was if 3rd Uncle was watching down on us and keeping away them harmful rays and heat.

It was my 3rd Uncle funeral, and the mood on the ground was swelling with emotions and sweet memories of this soft spoken, tiny framed man who loves a good chat and quite often offers his point of view. More often than not, his take on history; from the Japanese occupation of Malaya to the communist emergency during the early days of Malaysia provides a good alternative to the mainstream informations that one can get during his/her studies.

Before long, family members were ushered by the taoist priest to take one last look at 3rd uncle before the coffin is sealed. His children went in first, followed by his brothers and sister in laws, then us. He looked calm and at peace, gentle and comfortable. I told myself, this is the 3rd Uncle we all know. Always gentle, always calm and always a cheerful guy. We would do well to learn this qualities.

Once outside, I saw my 7th uncle weeping with long strands of tears flowing down his cheek. Here we have one tough guy in his early 50, weeping and mourning the loss of a dear brother. I turn to take a look at my father, he was too weeping with my crying mother trying to console him and assure him that his brother is going to a better place. I search frantically for my youngest uncle and I caught a sight of him wiping tears off his cheek. He is the shy one and he clearly will miss this brother of his.

Then it happens, hot tears flow uncontrolably down my cheek and suddenly it hit me that the one last look at my 3rd Uncle will indeed be the last time I can lay my eyes on such a gentle person. Emotions ran high, memories of the times shared with him flooded my senses and for the first time in a long while I've cried infront of so many people. It felt strange that God wanted this man to be with him so early when he had bring joy here to so many people. Silly Bean comforted me and told me it is going to be alright. Her tight embrace and convincing words help me through. She is my pillar of strength.

I wanted to make a speech there, to tell everyone present of how great a man my 3rd uncle was during his lifetime. To thank him for his deeds to my  father and myself. However I did not get the chance to do so yesterday. So I whispered to him gently and hope he knows it, that ol'Jon loves him a lot. Here it goes;

My take on my sahpek(3rd uncle). He was a very gentle and caring man. Never had I saw him lost him temper in front of us and he would always smile and gave us advises when deemed necessary. I remember when I was younger, I hated nyonya kueh (chinese mixed malay local pastry) as if it was poison. Being a kueh seller, my 3rd uncle would told me about the history of kueh and the process of making it. Being a young menace, I would just take it as bullocks. But never once did he reprimand me over my lack of menace. Instead he kept on introducing me with different type of kuehs he sell. He did not give up and was persistent until one day I tried his colorful 9 layer kueh. It is colorful, it is nippy and smells nice. I tried it and I loved it. Today, everytime I see a nyonya kueh stall, I would look for 3 types of kueh, Kueh Talam, Kueh Kaya and Kau Ean Kueh(9 layer kueh). Though I love them but they don't taste as good as my sahpek's kueh. Because of his persistent, his kindness, his patience and his effort; I'm able to taste one of the mixed cultural cuisine in life. For that, I thank you very much my beloved sahpek.

My sahpek was a gentle and caring man to us younger generation. However a quick Q&A with my dad, 7th uncle and youngest uncle will tell you another side of the story! My grandfather died young, exactly when my father was 9 years old, 7th uncle at 8 years old and youngest uncle at 6 years old. At that time my first uncle was married with his own family and kids to care of and my grandmother being from China and her legs binded could hardly keep up with the 3 stooges. Thus the job of disciplining the 3 stooges fell to my sahpek. Accordingly, the 3 stooges got a taste of brotherly love every now and then due to their 'good behavior' My dad used to tell me how ferocious the caning carried out by sahpek that the 3 stooges will literally be begging for their life!
He took up the responsibility at a young age and done a good job at it. As it stands my father, 7th uncle and youngest uncle was leading a healty, god fearing life that all man should do. For disciplining my father and teaching him the values of life, I thank you very much my beloved sahpek.

I remember vividly when I was younger and was visiting sahpek and my cousins at Kedah Road, we would play badminton. Though I sucks at badminton, my sahpek never discourage me and once told me; "Ah Ho, Ah Ho(my nickname); don't know how to play badminton is ok, but you must remember that even if you don't know how to do it you need to try your best before giving up. Then people cannot judge you as you've give it your best!" Phew, what a lesson it turns out to be! I knuckle myself down, learn my badminton(I must proclaim that I still sucks big time at it) and get the ball rolling. I would like to think my tenacious streak was cultured from that incident and it shaped my life. To encourage me to play badminton, he tasked Ah Inn(his son, my elder cousin) to refurbished a racquet for me. He got Ah Inn to sand a rusted racquet which he bought at the market, spray on new paints and even ask Ah Inn to put a lacquer layer to it so it look the part. Then he paid for the strings/netting and after a few hours and a few quids spend, I have a spanking 'new' racquet. I never told my sahpek how much I appreciated him doing all this to me. I never did have the chance. For educating me and encouraging me to be tenacious and persistent in life, I thank you very much my beloved sahpek.

I hope you can hear my sincere gratitude to your deeds to me. I hope I'm not too late to tell you that we(nephews and nieces) all loves you and we all will miss your nyonya kueh, your long winded take on history and certainly your charismatic charms! We miss you and rest in peace!

Ah Ho(ol'Jon)


My SahPek looking smart in a coat and necktie!


Holidaying with his daughter somewhere in China


Cold China weather dont deter my SahPek


Another take at a gentle uncle..


Sahpek, Rest In Peace......one day in the distant future, we will see you again!

1 comment:

  1. :)
    dun worry~ my jesus papa will take care of him from now on :)

    ReplyDelete