Thursday, September 29, 2011

In the pursuit of Happiness

Stayed back in office during lunch today, yea even with my massive size and appetite; I did skipped lunch today. A combination of work and work related problem makes ol'Jon lost appetite for lunch today. Couple that with my yearly 9 days vegetarian dietary in full swing and the nearest vegetarian outlet is 20 mins away, lunch shall be sacrificed today!

Anyway, today I'm not going to talk about lunch and the benefits of dieting. Well, don't diet, just do more exercise. Enjoy the meat, the cheese, the ice-creams and so on but remember to bring your lazy bum out for an exercise weekly if possible. Run some distance, climb some stairs and get the heart pumping. This way, no matter how much you eat, probably it will be burned out. I'm overweight, no doubt about that as I enjoy my food very much, and I have a liking for good beer as well! However I'm active in sports and can run like a train for up to 2 hours during a game. So I would like to think I'm in a good shape, and mind you ROUND is a shape too.


Ok now, back to the topic then. I was in office cracking my heads on how to solve some of the problems at hand. And believe me, I'm rather good at doing it. Usual way is to take a step back, then followed by a deep breath and think of your options. It comes naturally for me and I'm not ashame to admit that it has taken me out of a tight spot a lot of time. Suddenly, like a calling from God, I took a rest and browse some of my friends blog list. Took a look at Siew's blog(non-active) then SH Low's blog(non-active). Disappointed, I browse for Chris Tan's blog; Painting with Lights. It was good but last update; August 2011. Finally, I got into Adelene's blog; My Journey Thru Life. And one blog is particularly of interest for me; http://adelenechin.blogspot.com/2011/07/happiness-is-when.html and it struck me with quite some force.

You see, I've always thought happiness is based on how much you achieve in life. All my life I've fought tooth and nails to be the best in what I do. Though I've never got 1st position during my school days(lingers in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 8th) which I blame it on that IDIOT YEAP SOON AIK(my good friend), I've always been competitive. I will not allow myself to be stagnant, I'll not be contend with my achievement, I'll not allow myself to stop running the rat race. I thought by finally cracking the highish personal ambition of 5 figure income before 30 would make me happy. But now I want more and more and more. I'm moving in a new house with 5300 sqft land soon and I thought I would be pleased but it wasn't to be. Right now I'm looking at houses at E&O(Penang Straits Quay) with asking price of 1.7 million and above. I wanted so much, at such a fast pace that it gets scary for me when I think about it. I look back and see myself 6 years ago having so little but I'm so much more happier then. I wonder what had happened and after reading Adelene's posting for the 7th time, I realise my heart is like a glass that can never be filled. The irony is that I allowed it to be this way, I allowed myself to be not happy so that I can gain more in the false pretension that I'll be happy when I achieve my next goal. I've confused myself from the need of improvement vs need of wanting. I've confused myself that monetary things is more important that anything else. I've forgotten my initial plan of happiness is to spend time and provide enough to my Silly Bean and King Nathan. I've forgotten that both of them is the most important thing to me....I've forgotten!

I've made a vow today, that I'll be contend with what I have(monetary, postion, career, achievement) now and be grateful but continue to progress at a high rate mirroring the high standard I've set for myself. I've made another vow today, that I'll cherish my lovely Silly Bean(CP) and my cute King Nathan and know for a fact that with them around me, I've found my happiness......ikh ho van jo CP!

Thanks Adelene(a self proclaimed simple woman) for inspiring me and opening my eyes in the Pursuit of Happiness..........

My happiness is in fact with me, already!

2 comments:

  1. Silly bean loves you too...
    King Nathan loves you also :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries Jon..I am glad that you and silly bean had achieved such great happiness and joy in life too. Striving hard is good cause each person has different ambitions ! However, appreciating the moment of happiness makes you a better person. The rat race will never end...

    Good luck to both of you !

    ReplyDelete